Regardless of how often you mow your lawn, it can still look messy unless you work toward getting a well-manicured yard. So, it raises an important point of inquiry—” why your yard looks untidy even with regular maintenance?” Essentially, a well-manicured yard requires more than having the best lawn care tools around and more attention to detail.
Therefore in this blog post, we will walk through five critical steps to getting a well-manicured yard. Let’s get started!
What is a well-manicured yard?
A well-manicured yard is a garden, park, front yard, or other pieces of land with short, neatly cut grasses. Such yards or lawns are more aesthetically appealing because there are no harsh protruding weeds. Also, you do not need to do some high knees when walking in the yard, and it is perfect for social gatherings like picnics, etc.
Why do you need a well-manicured yard?
Having short growth in your yard is excellent for its aesthetic appeal. Here are other benefits of having a well-manicured yard.
- They reduce runoff by absorbing more water when it rains
- They help lower the surrounding temperature by reducing surface temperature
- It can increase the value of your property for faster sales during a yard or house sale
- Due to their high moisture absorption rate, they require less irrigation in the dry season.
How to get a well-manicured yard in five steps
Getting a well-manicured lawn requires careful steps and attention to detail. Here is a rundown of what you need to do.
Get rid of the weeds.
Weeds can constitute a nuisance to your yard work and require constant removal. Here are three easy methods to quickly get rid of weeds for a well-manicured yard.
- Hand pulling: Although it is more challenging and crude, it is somewhat effective if you grab the weeds from their root.
- Using a Hoe: Using a hoe allows you to loosen the soil around the stem of the weeds for easier removal.
- By applying Herbicides: Although herbicides provide a less manual method of weed removal, they are not ecofriendly. Therefore you should only use it as a last resort if you deal with a chronic weed infestation.
Create a mowing pattern
Random mowing can cause you to miss a spot, leading to an untidy result. Here are a few pattern suggestions you can try for a well-manicured yard.
- Striped pattern
- Circular pattern
- S-curved or wave pattern
- Checkerboard pattern
- Arch pattern
- Diamond pattern.
Decide on the best time to mow.
Figuring the best time to mow your lawn is critical to getting a well-manicured yard. Also, it would be best if you learned how much to cut and how often to mow your lawn. This way, you will prevent weed overgrowth, ensure lawn quality and reduce your chances of dealing with lawn diseases.
Do not mow a wet or moist yard.
Mowing a wet yard can be challenging as it prevents the precise cutting of grass. Also, it can damage your mower blades as wet grass clippings can stick or get trapped in them. Furthermore, mowing a wet yard can prevent the grasses from getting sufficient sunlight and air due to the accumulation of damp grass clippings on the ground surface.
Maintain sharp mower blades
Sharp mower blades are vital for getting even clippings. Also, sharp blades significantly reduce your mower fuel consumption rate by 20% to 30%, making it suitable for your pocket. Moreover, sharper blades require less effort during the manicuring process.
The frequency at which you trim your grasses for a well-manicured yard will depend on how fast the grasses grow. Hopefully, this piece guides you toward getting the yard delight you desire without breaking a sweat!